Friday, January 7, 2011

I am not 5 ft 7...ok?

This is me and my girls heading for the finish of my first triathon. I came in 3rd overall and felt amazing....It was such a huge accomplishment in my life.
Much like the triathlon finish, being able to come into headstand unsupported in the middle of the room was life changing. I had so much fear in my headstand journey. The wall was my crutch, my safety net. Im learning to let go of some fear, its very difficult for me. The coolest thing about this pose is that my head isnt on the floor at all, but rather hovering just above, using my upper arms to balance....powerful mentally and physically!
I got the pleasure of spending my morning with my favorite GP for my yearly physical. Just love this...get to watch the blank page fill with all of my many ailments and realize that If at 35 I can fill one page, how many will I fill at 60. The future looks bright people. So, I love my GP, however, his office is a tad antiquated and I dont put too much faith in some of the equipment that I see (ie, the EKG machine is the size of a refrigerator and takes 2 nurses to wheel it in the room, the exam table's foot rest doesnt work properly and I find myself continually sliding down, pushing myself back up..repeat.... and the scale is so rickety and old that it hangs to one side when you get on it). So, my height measured 5 ft 7.5 inches. Im fairly certain that this read may have been hampered by the fact that the measuring stick that was hanging onto the back of the scale (think 1950's version of the scale/measuring device combo) probably doesnt measure accurately...just a guess. And the fact that I was teetering on the uneven scale surface while the unpleasant nurse was trying desperately to unstick the corroded measuring device from the rotton crevice that it was stuck in. If I was 5 ft 8 like 6 months ago, then I am surely shriveling up and dying as I type this. It just isnt right. The PA looked at me and said, "Im 5 ft 8 and you are taller than me, strange." OK, Im justified, but I also have to consider that most of my GP's patients are more than likely just glad that they arent dead and the accuracy of one's height is probably low on the list of complaints. So, I measured myself at home and I am still 5 ft 8 and some change. Big relief...Im not shrinking or crazy. Just for the record, there is nothing wrong with being 5'7"...im just NOT and if I am then I have serious osteoporosis and that isnt good. Moving on...Im healthy, BP 110/80, liver panel looks good, yay me:), cholesterol is 180 and Im not 5'7". Ok..really..now I am moving on. Oh and BTW...UGG boots weigh 2 pounds.


My new yoga schedule has me feeling great, but figuring out how to practice everyday has me a little upside down. (refer to above image :). Side Note: Trying to get into this inversion in 10 seconds is tricky and is not advised...trust me on this! Im going to add a class this evening to make it 4 for the week. Chris is out of town this weekend, so I wont be able to practice outside of the home. Im still OK mentally without being able to train at the gym, Im just having to get a little creative with finding time and yoga classes that suit all of my needs.
I am also contemplating at great length why I still put up with my current alarm clock. The package read "wake up to soothing chimes". This sounded right up my ally...soothing chimes, drift effortlessly out of bed, etc, etc. Instead... this thing sounds like (bear with me here) an old tape in a tape recorder that is turning too slow (remember this sound?) The pitch is also so off that it sounds like the chimes are being played underwater or in the belly of a moose or other similar beast. Does this visual help? It also sound like this -bing, bing, bong bong- its horrible. The real question is why have I been using it for 2 years? Why dont I just buy a new one? This is the real issue here. Why?

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I look forward to following your journey. Peace EricG

    ReplyDelete