Monday, January 3, 2011

WHY?

I guess you could say that this experiment has been born out of sheer frustration. I am at my breaking point with my surgeon and this was evidenced by my unabashed crying jag in his office during my last visit. I dont cry in public...unless I am greatly moved by something. So here is a little background on me and my right knee,which I will further refer to as Black Swan or BS for short. Upon moving to Jax in April of 2007, I fell easily into an active lifestyle. I ran, alot and it was good. I lifted weights, did my 2 weekly power pump classes per week and did at least an hour of cardio 5 days a week. I decided to sign up for my first half-marathon...the Marine Corp Half in October of 2008 (i think). My BS was kinda giving me a little problem, so I did what any other runner I knew would do...I bought an IT band strap, because I sounded like an IT band issue when I plugged my info into google. (BTW...this is DUMB!!! Why do athletes try to self treat? Im learning that pain is real and you should LISTEN). Carrying on, I strapped my IT band thingy on pre race, and noticed that like 25% of the runners had one of these things on...I am so smart...see? I got to mile 7 painfully (mostly due to BS) and then just hobbled and skipped to mile 10 when I called my husband (had my phone because I heard a whisper that I may need it) and cried. He said can you walk? If so, try to finish. So I did. I had to keep my right leg straight and swing it pirate with a wooden leg style, around my body, but I finished. My BS has never been the same since. I took some time off, did the elliptical and spin to replace running. Tried running, was OK at the shorter distances when I decided Id buy a bike and shift my focus to the triathlon. I became a pretty good biker, swimming was natural to me, but that dang running...I entered my first triathlon and came in third overall...I was passed by a 18 yr old in the chute...isnt this against the running law of sportsmanship...not that Im bitter or anything. Maybe I had found my sport...or sports. I was hooked. I signed up for another race and trained hard. I LIKED training. I LIKED my training log. I LOVED watching the days tick off, making a big X over the square when I finished my swim, bike or run. The next sprint was COLD. Water temp was really too cold for the swim...it felt like some one very large sat on my chest and began to smack me over and over while I tried to swim fast. Then I thought that I had encountered a snake (my biggest fear) feeling it wrapping around my wrist (which was really my wet suit cord)...I screamed and took in a huge mouthful of water, gagged and looked longingly at the rescue canoe....i was done..or was I? I calmed down with a very quick rendition of Our Father, began my yoga breathing and finished. Then alas, BS showed up during the run. GREAT!!! Again, I backed off training, did more non impact, spin, swim, elliptical and decided to try running again on Mothers Day. I got 1 mile into my 5 k and just collapsed. Could not walk, could not BELIEVE it ...AGAIN...After an MRI, I saw an orthopaedic surgeon who quickly decided my BS had a meniscus injury that he would fix my BS and I would be running again in 6-8 weeks, then he whisked me off to the OR...well not quite, but you get the idea. This was June 7, 2010. I am still unable to run, cycle, spin with out debilitating pain on the lateral aspect of my BS. I have since had a follow up MRI, because I am obviously an anomaly that no one can figure out how to treat. My doctors last advice was "Well, do whatever doesnt cause you pain". Great....that is comforting. Im not giving up on trying to find a solution to my problem nor am I willing to settle with never running or cycling again. I will likely get a second opinion, but for now I have to decided that for the next 6 months, I will do yoga as my sole means of fitness. All yoga, any yoga, any studio, any style...Im your girl. It is the only thing I can do without pain. I am tracking my progress and my journey from gym to mat. Can I do it? Sure, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment